Monday, March 24, 2014

Time to Download Some Books

I started thinking today, that if I want to self-publish, I really should do more to support the self-publishing industry.

I've done so in the past.

I read a manuscript that an online friend sent me.  I think that counts?  Well, he later self-published the book, so I supported a self-publisher before they published.  

I bought a book by another online friend, Michael Fuery.  Dream Within a Dream


It's a sequel to a famous Aussie book, Picnic At Hanging Rock.

It's a fun time-travel type story. 

I enjoyed reading it.

Today I found my old Kindle, which I never use, and I plugged it in. Well, I actually have two Kindles, one that used to be my mom's and one that was a gift from my mom (and dad). I had no idea which was which, so had to choose one to plug in so I could figure it out.  

I plugged in the wrong one.

But that's besides the point.

I decided I'd try to find something to download and read.  I found it via Twitter.

I got one of those delightful emails.  Someone is following you on Twitter!  Who?  SelfPubShowcase.

I love when someone (or something) follows me first.  It makes me feel wanted...loved...needed. 

I followed them back and soon got a bunch of tweets about self-published books.  I imagined one day I might be one of their mentions.  Then soon I found a book that looked good to me.  Apocalypticon by Clayton Smith. 



It's about zombies and Disney World.   How can you go wrong with that?

Well, you can actually. I've read some books with brilliant premises that ended up disappointing me.

So far, that's not been the case with this book. The writing's fantastic and it's helping to further my belief that self-published books can be equal in quality (even superior) to traditionally published fiction. 

When I started this post I was going to say something really nice like my only complaint is it makes me feel insecure about my own writing.   But I have another now.  The title. It took me so long to type it out.  I kept misspelling it.  And no one should take my critique too seriously, because I just misspelled misspelling. 

Back to the writing though, it does make me feel a bit insecure. I think it's better than my own. 

And see...with the traditionally published book I'm reading, The Future of Us.  Well, I feel that one is about equal to my own writing.   Or maybe I even like my writing a little better. I'm not sure yet. 

Oh yeah.  Back to the Kindle thing.  I really am not a fan of the whole E-book thing.  But now with this whole self-publishing thing, I feel I need to find the love.  I paid for and downloaded Clayton Smith's book (notice how I'm avoiding the title).  I've been reading it on my laptop.  I'm not sure if it's gone to the Kindle.  If it hasn't, I'm kind of okay reading it on the computer.  It's kind of crazy though to have two Kindles and not use either one of them.

Anyway, I'm on only page 20 right now of the Clayton Smith book. When I read more, maybe I'll share more opinions.   I'm sure my imaginary readers will appreciate it.  

  
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment