Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Loved this Paragraph

I'm continuing to read Clayton Smith's novel Apocalypticon


I decided what it reminds me of is the movie Zombieland.  It has that type of sense of humor. I guess other films in that genre would be Sean of the Dead and This is the End

I'm trying to remember if I've ever read a book of this type.  Apocalyptic Comedy....  I can't think of any off the top of my head.

Anyway, I love Smith's style of writing minus a few metaphors. I'm pretty intolerant of metaphors.  But Smith has only a few and I haven't found any that totally irked me. It's fine if people sprinkle a few here or there in their writing.  I might have a few in my own novels. But if I start reading a book and there's too many, I often just quit.

Wait. I meant to be talking about the positive and I got sidetracked.

I wanted to share an excerpt from the novel. I think it's a good illustration of Smith's writing style and sense of humor.

Crap.  It turns out you can't cut and paste from the Kindle cloud reader. Oh well.

I guess I'll start typing.

Pat weighed his options. On the one hand he hated both hippies and smug college students, especially the dirty ones. On the other hand, he really loved fires, possibly more than he hated hippies and college students, and he suddenly remembered that he hadn't eaten since the snack pack this morning.  His distaste for opinionated young gadabouts was a matter of preference, but his need for hot chili was bordering on survival necessity.   He begrudgingly kowtowed to rule number one: Survive.  "I guess we go out there," he said miserably, "cause I don't think there going to let us start a fire on the train.  But I tell thee this Benjamin Judith Fogelvee.  I am taking my machete, and if I hear just one of them complain about the one-percent, so help me, I will butcher the hippies like it was Mercenary Christmas".  Mercenary Christmas was the title of the video game he and Ben had developed a few years earlier.  Neither of them was a video game developer; thus far it was a "concept piece" only. 

I especially love the last line. 

You know...this is also helpful to me, because I wasn't sure how to emphasis words in a book.  In my blogs, I capitalize, but I figured for a book it might be wrong.

I can also learn from his sentences, because I have a habit of making mine extremely short. Someone in my younger years must have made me paranoid about run-on sentences. Tim mentioned it to me.  He's been reading my novel, and then I was reading reviews of my old novel. I have the choppy sentence syndrome.  
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment