Friday, March 21, 2014

Why I Wrote a Novel

Australian books
Why did I finally write another novel?

The main reason is I had an idea that I liked. But usually, in these past few years, when I have an idea that I like, I simply hope that someone else will write it.

It's a feeling of wanting to read a book about a certain subject, but thinking it's not available (as far as you know).

I didn't plan to write the book.

But then there's a feeling I've been trying to suppress the past few years. It's the feeling of worthlessness and inadequacy because  I don't make any of my own money.

Well, I get about five dollars a year from one of my previous novels that I self-published.  But I don't count that, because in those long ago days, I had to pay a fairly high price for publishing it.  So it's not like I made a profit. 

Anyway, it's unlikely I'll become wealthy from writing my novel, but I can't deny having fantasies.  Still though, if I can make at least $100, I'll feel some satisfaction.  I mean $100 within a year...not through out my lifetime.  Or maybe 2-3 years is fine. 

Writing is a hard way to make money, but in some ways it's the more feasible option for me personally.  I have a huge gap in my resume.  I don't think I'm qualified for much anymore.

I don't drive, so it would be hard for me to get places. 

So in summary, I wrote a novel for two reasons.  I had an idea that I liked and I'm hoping to make some money.

I suppose also that I would like...not fame, really.  But respect?  Praise?  Attention?

The problem is if you write a novel, no matter how successful it is, you're going to invite in criticism and maybe hatred as well.  So that probably cancels out any praise and positive attention I might receive.

For that reason, it's probably best to put more concentration on the money and joy-of-writing aspects of it all.  



Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment