Saturday, March 22, 2014

American Horror Story

Tim and I are watching the second season of American Horror Story.  I loved the first season, and the second season's growing on me.

I was reluctant to try the show because after Nip/Tuck went downhill (in my opinion),  I've been a bit anti-Ryan Murphy.

But one day, Tim and I were looking for a new show to watch.  I bookmarked some stuff on Netflix, and for some reason I guess I decided to give Ryan Murphy another chance. Maybe it's because Jack's become a big Glee fan.  So if the guy can make something my child loves, I figured maybe we should give him another chance.

I'm glad we did.

It's a great show.

I knew from a small bit of research that each season's a completely different story.  When we first started watching it, I thought (or maybe said) someone should make a show with a different story each season, but use the same actors.  It would be so cool if the same actors played different characters each season.

Then I found out this is exactly what they've done in American Horror Story. Not all the actors return, but most have.  And who knows...actors who haven't returned for season 2 or 3, might be there for season 4 or beyond.

I think the writing's fantastic.  Both seasons have had all types of twists that weren't easily predictable.

Some of it's very scary, and though both seasons have had a supernatural element, it's the human characters that frighten me the most.  The first season takes place in a haunted house, one that's crowded with ghosts. Yet, I thought the scariest scenes were when the living knocked (or banged) on the door.

I love the performances on the show. Should I pick favorites?

I don't know if I can.

Jessica Lange's  awesome.  It's so weird to think she's the mom I used to adore in Men Don't Leave.  Yeah, I know Jessica Lange has been in so much more than that; but that's the movie in which I most associate her.  Anyway. Her characters in American Horror Story are quite different from the timid widow she once played.

I loved Kate Mara. Sadly, she's been in only one season.  I guess she's busy with House of Cards.

I love Francis Conroy.  She has a much bigger part in the first season.  She plays death in the second season, but so far we've seen her in only one episode.  I'm not sure if she's going to return.

Evan Peters is adorable.  In the first season, he plays one of those complex mostly evil, but maybe a little good characters.  I wanted to believe he had some good in him.

In the second season, he seems to be good.  But who knows....maybe we'll get a surprise twist again.  I hope not.

Tim and I both praised Lily Rabe's performance tonight.  She's fun to watch.

I liked Jamie Brewer, and am glad to know she returns for season 3.  She's not in season 2.

Oh!  I just saw on IMDb that Kathy Bates's in season 2!  She was in Men Don't Leave with Jessica Lange!

And here's something I didn't know....Dylan McDermott, who was in season one, is also in season two.  But according to IMDb, he's uncredited.  He plays someone named Johnny Morgan.  He's been in an episode we've already seen.  I don't remember seeing him.  IMDb says "voice" for that episode.  Maybe we just heard him?

Well, I just looked it up and got major spoilers. Oops.  It's a good story though.   I look forward to seeing it, and I didn't read much, so I still might be surprised about things.      





Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment