Tuesday, April 1, 2014

God Save Me From the Dark and Depressing

I bought another self-published novel today: Deny by Mark Gray.




I saw it promoted on Twitter; the premise looked interesting to me, so I read a sample. I liked the sample, so I bought the book.

Now I'm kind of regretting it, because the book's incredibly dark and depressing. That's not really good for my personal mental health.

Okay, you know how when you read some thrillers, you sometimes leave the point of view of the heroic protagonist and get to see into the eyes of the killer? Well, in this book...you're always with the killer.

It's not an enjoyable place to be.

The killer's a teenage girl, Cassie Moore. From the insights we're given, she seems like a sociopath.  She talks about killing animals for fun. After her first human kill, she lusts for more.

She's not a sympathetic protagonist.  I do feel pity for her, but mostly just fear. I mean I fear her...or people like her.  I don't feel fear for her.

I know there are people like her in the world. It's enlightening to get inside their head.  But in small doses. I don't know if I want to be stuck in this evil girl's head for 417 pages.

But there might be hope.  According to his bio on Self Publisher Showcase, Mark Gray's Christian and his religion plays a part in his work.  There's also been hints in the story that there's a spiritual element to the story. I think Satan plays a part.  So maybe she'll be exorcised.

I don't know though. Have there been cases of sociopathic serial killers finding Jesus and becoming good?

I'm curious how a typical Christian might view serial killers? Would they believe it's the work of the devil? Can a person like that be saved?

Will Cassie be saved?

Will I end up liking the book?  I won't if it continues to be this dark.  I don't mind darkness, but I need uplifting elements in the story as well. So far, that's not happening.  But I'm still at the beginning. According to my Kindle Cloud reader, I'm only 13% done with the book.

There's a lot of space left for hope.

Oh, and I sneaked a peak at a review on Amazon.  Stacey Coates says, at the end of her review,  It shows that God is always there when you ask for him!  

I don't believe in Jesus, or even God, in general.  But I'm hoping he comes along and saves the day....at least in this novel.



Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment