Sunday, March 23, 2014

Facebook as a Time Machine

Last night I started reading a young adult novel called The Future of Us.





I love the premise.  Two teenagers, from 1996, load American Online onto their computers and end up accessing Facebook in the future.  

The book has a lot of pop culture references, which I like.  And I like how the two teens perceive Facebook. Why are all these people talking about trivial things in their life?

It's been awhile since I've been on Facebook.  I'm wondering if people still announce what they've eaten and what they're planning to do with their hair.

I've been visiting Twitter lately.  There seems to be less talk about personal things; or maybe it's that I don't follow many people who often talk about personal things. 

The novel has two authors: Jay Asher and Carolyn Mackler.  I wonder what it's like, writing with someone else.  When I first got the idea for my recent novel, I asked Tim if he wanted to write it with me.  I felt too lazy to write it on my own.  But then I started writing it, and pretty much told Tim you're out of the picture.

I'm definitely not trying to say it's lazy to write a book with a partner.  In fact, it probably takes more work.  All that cooperation!  It's just for me, at that particular point in my life, I was feeling lazy.

With The Future of Us, there's alternating viewpoints.  Male and Female.  I'm guessing the male author wrote the male part and the female author wrote the female part.  Although it could be reversed?  Or maybe they didn't each take a part.  Maybe I'll read interviews and learn more about that later.

I think it would be fun to write a book like that...alternating viewpoints.  It's hard for me to imagine co-writing a book with one viewpoint.   How does it work?  Do they take turns writing?  Does one person write, then the other person fills in the blanks?

I'm pretty awful at description.  It might not be awful for me to find a partner who could do that part for me.

I think I'd probably be too controlling though.

I don't know if I'd be cooperative enough to write a book with a partner.

It might be fun (or at least interesting) to try it someday though.  
 
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment