Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Reader Symbolism in The Host (Spoiler Warning)

The Host (novel)
The Host (novel) (Photo credit: Wikipedia)
In Stephanie Meyer's The Host a body snatcher named Wanderer is put into the body of a young woman named Melanie Stryder.

Usually in this situation, the original soul of the body disappears and the alien soul takes completely over.

With Melanie, it's different. She stays with the new soul.

The two souls share one body, with the alien soul having control of body movements and speech.  

In the beginning of the novel, Wanderer experiences Melanie's memories.  She takes in what has happened to Melanie, and they become part of her.   It's not just on an intellectual level, but an emotional level as one.

Wanderer quickly grows to love Melanie's younger brother, even before meeting him herself.

She falls in love with Melanie's boyfriend.

And she falls in love with Melanie herself.  

The whole process reminded me of the process we go through when reading or viewing fiction.

We're very much like Wanderer when we read a book or watch a TV show or film.    We share in the character's memories and experiences.  If the fiction is effective enough for us, it's likely we'll fall in love with who the character loves. And we'll love the character. 

When we talk about two characters having chemistry with each other, maybe this is what it's about.

If we can't connect to the character's emotion....if we can't feel the love that they're feeling; then this might be when we don't support the romantic relationship.  

I feel the best books are ones in which I feel fully included in the adventure.   I become the character or characters;  I go with them on their journey.   Temporarily I lose myself and become them.  

On some occasions I'll read a book, and I'll feel left out.  I feel there's a wall between myself and the characters.  It's like to eavesdropping on a conversation, rather than being part of the conversation.   It's interesting; but kind of lonely.  

I don't enjoy books that give me that feeling.  
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment