Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Inconsequential

I'm reading The Day the Falls Stood Still by Cathy Marie Buchanan.

Bess, the protagonist of the story thinks:  My most troubled moments come when I realize I have not thought her for several days or more. It is then it seems that her life was inconsequential, that mine may be as well and everyone else's too.  We all matter so very little, not at all after a generation of two.  And it is the same for all mankind; not even the greatest of men amount to anything that will survive the forward march of time.   
 
Maybe Bess would feel differently if she watched It's s Wonderful Life.

We all play our part.  We're all important in some ways.

I can agree with the quote though.

We matter now, and our actions might have some type of domino effect...positive or negative.

But most of us will be forgotten.

I used to think celebrity was an antidote to this.  But I think it's rare for a celebrity to have staying-power.

I used to think if I got a book published, it would be my ticket to a sort of immortality.  I would protect myself from being forgotten.  I wouldn't end up as letters and photographs in the attic, barely looked at.

Lately though I realized how false this is.  Out of all the books published, how many continue to be published?

My guess is most of them go out of print.

They might be read by future generations, but not on a regular basis.

On most days, the characters are in a state of suspended animation...waiting for the rare moment of awakening.    

Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment