Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Haunted by Thirty Cats

I did what I said I wouldn't do.

I bad-mouthed my own book on Goodreads.

I wouldn't want people to buy it; then be angry because of the formatting and other errors.

I recently bought and downloaded a self-published novel. It was awful...I think even worse than Thirty Cats.  It was full of mistakes.  No, not just mistakes. The whole thing felt very unprofessional. Unskilled. It gave me a bad taste for self-publishing in general.

If someone buys Thirty Cats, and is disgusted by the errors, I might not be damaging only my own reputation, but other self-published writers as well.

Speaking of.....

I haven't heard back from iUniverse yet. Perhaps my email got lost? Maybe they're ignoring me.  I don't know. I'm not pleased with their company though.

That being said, I have to put most of the blame on myself. I published the novel in a rush, with very little editing. Years later, I didn't check on their e-book version when they announced that it was available.

As humans, we have the right to depend on other people to help us...especially if we've paid them! But we also have to make sure we can depend on ourself.

I have failed me and I've failed the girl who feared ending up with 30 cats.

Shit.

Oh well.

I hope I can treat my new characters better.
Enhanced by Zemanta

2 comments:

  1. It's good that you can be realistic about what you expect of a book, especially when it's your own and you're not pleased with the final result.

    I'm sure things will get better from here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lynda,

      Hi! You're the very first person to comment on this blog. I'm so happy and grateful!

      I hope you're right about things getting better.

      Delete