Monday, October 1, 2012

Man of Science, Man of Faith

The Lost Room
The Lost Room (Photo credit: Wikipedia)
Last night we watched the first episode of a miniseries.  The Lost Room.  

The show's about a magical key. Open any door with it; and you end up in this mysterious motel room.  

I was led to believe, by the person providing the DVD, that my mind would be intensely occupied by the mysteries of the show.

The plot was puzzling and I'd want to figure it all out.

I definitely liked the first episode, and I want to see more.  It's a captivating program.

But I don't feel obsessed with getting my questions answered.

I don't even know if I have questions.

What is the mysterious motel room?

That's a question.

I'm not caring much about the answer....at least not yet.

I started to think about Lost.   

With that show, I WAS obsessed with the puzzles.

I had lots of questions.

I wanted answers.

I wasn't alone.

A whole chunk of the world's population was obsessed with getting their Lost questions answered.

I think one of the reasons for this is there was one main question behind all the small questions.

And that is....

Is this a science fiction story; or is it supernatural?   Or is it none of the above?   Could it all just be a bunch of coincidences?

Why is there a polar bear on a tropical island?   Did you notice Walt was reading a comic book with a polar bear on it?   Is Walt a magical child?   Did he conjure that bear?   Or is it just a coincidence?   

What is the smoke monster?  Is he supernatural?  Is he a scientific experiment?

What is Jacob?   Is he a man?  A real god?   Or is he just a symptom of mass hysteria and brainwashing?  

Later the show became less ambiguous.

Some people were happy with the answers, and some people were disappointed.

But I think it's the wondering and the debating (Science or faith) that kept us watching in the beginning. 

With The Lost Room there seems to be no question of whether it's supernatural or not.   The only thing I can think of is the infamous....It was all just a dream.

But that would be silly.

I find it hard to be interested in the puzzles of the supernatural; because there really are no parameters.   Right now, anything goes.  I don't wonder how something can happen; because in their universe ANYTHING can happen.

Now I'm thinking of Harry Potter.

There were questions in the series that made me curious.  But I don't think many of the questions involved the supernatural.  Most of it involved the characters. Who will live? Who will die?   Who is good?  Who is bad?  Who will end up falling in love with who?  What relationships will be redeemed in the end?  

The same goes for The Lost Room.  If I do have any questions; they're about the characters.

Will the main guy find his daughter eventually?  And if he finds her, will he lose or win the custody battle? 
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment