Monday, October 1, 2012

Smart?

I'm feeling empathy for Penny today; the woman from The Big Bang Theory.

She hangs out with four guys who are much smarter than her.  They're nice to her; but sometimes there's that air of superiority.  Well, and sometimes it's much more than air.  It's quite blatant.

I live with two men now; and they both make me feel like I'm dumb.

I feel like Penny.  

Is it because these guys are truly smarter than me?

Or do they just assume they're smarter than me?

I don't know.

Well, they're definitely smarter than me when it comes to certain subjects.

But I will have to assume I'm smarter than them on other subjects.

Both these men talk and talk.

I listen.

They rarely ask me any questions about myself or the subjects I know about.

They assume things about me.

I don't like a certain show because it has become too political.

I must not want to be part of a scientific project that the three males in the family are going to do together.  Right?  Let's not even ask HER.   She's a girl.

Why don't they just build a clubhouse and hang up a sign.  No Girls Allowed.

During an Apples to Apples game I pick Bill Murray as the funniest card.

Why?

Well, it's because of Zombieland.   That's why she likes him.

What?

Do they think I was born ten years ago?

Yes, I liked Zombieland.  But that's not what I think of when I think of Bill Murray. 

You know....I've actually lived for a few decades.

I think the men in my life forget I was born in the 1970's and imagine I was born in this century. 

It's ridiculous.

One of these guys think he's so woman-friendly because he opens doors for them.    

No, seriously.  I understand some women like this; and that's fine.  Really.

For me personally, it gets on my nerves.

I want to say, Instead of opening doors for me; why not open YOUR mind?  Treat me like an equal.  Don't assume things about me.   Realize I'm a multi-faceted interesting human being; and ACT like you know that.  Don't treat me like I'm your pet duck.  


Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment