Saturday, October 6, 2012

Which Faction?

I just finished reading Veronica Roth's Divergent





I'm guessing most readers of the book do what I did while reading the book....obsess over what faction they belong to.

The book takes place in a dystopian version of Chicago.

The population is divided into five formal factions. 

1. Amity (kind and peaceful)

2. Dauntless (brave)

3. Candor (honest and upfront)

4. Abnegation (self-sacrificing)

5. Erudite (intelligent)

These groups live separately from each other. 

Then there's those who fail to be initiated into any of the five groups.  They become homeless and/or have menial jobs. They're called the factionless.

Another group of people provides the title of the book.  Divergent. They don't fit neatly into any of the five categories.  They're rare. They're special.  They're dangerous.

By the time I got to the end of the book, I realized something.   I'm divergent.

I like to be kind; and I think I often am.  But sometimes I get angry and mean things pop out of my mouth. 

I can be dauntless at times...in certain situations.  Other times I'm a coward.  

I'm sometimes selfless. Or at least I TRY to be that way.  Well, I act that way....perhaps a bit grudgingly.  

On my blogs, I have been very open at times.  I can imagine fitting into the candor group.  Yet I couldn't really, because sometimes I'm awfully secretive.  

I like to read and learn.  I could sort of fit in with the Erudites.   But though I like to learn; my power of retention is quite weak.

So yeah....

I fit in each group at least a little bit.

And I don't fit into any of the factions perfectly.   

Am I special?  Rare?

I doubted it.

First of all; it's not just that I can't put myself into any faction.   There's no one in my life that would fit easily into a faction.

I feel they're all like me.  They'd fit into each faction a little bit; but not a lot.   

One of the Divergent online quizzes agreed with my assessment of myself.  Yes.  I am divergent. 

And guess what....

So is most everyone else.

Divergent got the highest ranking for all the quiz takers.  

My personal second highest ranking is Amity.

The same goes for the quiz overall average.

Although I enjoyed reading the novel; I do think there's an obvious fault.

The author took what's quite common and tried to make it look rare.

Unless we're supposed to believe human beings mutate in the future; and become individuals who can easily be pigeon-holed.   
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment